Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Story Of My Life

What is it that makes us afraid to follow through with the things that we start? With the best of intentions, we undertake arduous tasks---whether it's New Year's resolutions, starting---or, in my case, finishing a book, or even renovating a room, we come up with all kinds of reasons and excuses not to move forward and take on the intended task.

WHY?

Why are we so afraid? Is it because it's human nature to stay with something we know, to stay within our comfort zone, and not stray too far outside? Or can it be because of the impending success that would most likely come with the completion of the tasks we have set forth?

Or maybe it's because of the criticism that is most definitely sure to follow---whether it be negative or constructive---putting pressure on ourselves to keep getting better and better with each task we undertake.

The reason I have asked this question, is because I have been wrestling with just those feelings: hesitation towards continuing on with the book I have started oh-so-long ago. Why can't I bring myself to sit down, and work on it?

Before, I could use the excuse of not having the time; life and motherhood ate up 99% of my time, leaving little room for anything else. But now my son is grown, and my daughter is in school and entertains herself; so they are no longer an option.

Or maybe it has to do with the mixed-up, somewhat twisted, thinking of "When I am finished with this, what am I going to do next?" or even worse is, "What if nobody likes what I have written?"

As you can see, I don't take negative criticism very well. I see it as a jab to me personally, and not meant to help me improve myself. Come to think of it, maybe learning to accept constructive criticism should have been one of my new year's resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment